In the tradition of the great Anne Bogel of Modern Mrs. Darcy, I am making my mid-winter list of what’s saving my life. At this time of year, we all need our lives saved… Here is what’s doing it for me:
- Ballerina Buns and Lice Shield Shampoo. An outbreak of lice is said to be going around and yikes… I’ve been freaking out. Knock on wood, cross your fingers and toes, don’t step on any cracks, turn around three times, throw salt over your shoulder… whatever you need to do… but, we haven’t seen any signs of anything. I’m still not taking any chances! I’ve been keeping the little girls’ hair up in ballerina buns, gave H. a buzz cut and we’ve been washing with Lice Shield shampoo. It doesn’t smell *great* but it helps me sleep at night.
- Six Sisters Menu Plan. Meal planning is probably my least favorite thing. Seriously, I hate it. I either spend inordinate amounts of time planning meals, cutting coupons and cooking elaborate dinners, only to be crying over the sink because no one likes what I made and no one appreciates all my hard work OR we eat out constantly and I go to bed feeling like the worst mother ever because the cashiers at McDonald’s know us by name. One day, I had enough! I did a little research and found that one of my favorite recipe blogs has menu plans. Let me tell you, it’s WELL worth the $8/month. So far, we’ve enjoyed all the meals (kids included), planning is a cinch and shopping takes so much less time! I love knowing what we’re having for dinner with little effort.
- Journaling. I’ve always been a fan of journaling. This year, I’m keeping a gratitude journal (I write 3 things I’m grateful for each day), a guided self-awareness journal and I’ve also been journaling in my planner. (I keep appointments in the calendar portion and then jot down what happened the day before in the larger paragraph areas). I feel so much better when I journal! Recently I watched this video with some more awesome journal ideas I want to incorporate!
- Cozy Mysteries. Last night I finished Fatal Grace by Louise Penny. I wish I’d read it sooner after Still Life because I kept wondering… is this an allusion to something that happened in Still Life that I’ve forgotten OR is it something that happened before Still Life that we don’t know about yet? However, I love everything about this series. And, I love everything about reading this series in the winter or in rainstorms or in the bathtub.
- Speaking of… Bubble baths. They are ALWAYS saving my life. (See post below, for pete’s sake!) Recently, I’ve discovered the magic of the triple threat bubble bath. (This is when you have the bubble bath, candle and lotion of your favorite scent.) Bath and Body Works keeps having glorious sales, so I’ve got options upon options. Currently, my favorite is Magic in the Air. It’s light, floral and southern. I think it’ll pair perfectly with the Fannie Flagg book I have coming up in the TBR queue.